Monday 15 February 2010

Rock n' Roll

Now in the Roaring Forties I am 300 nautical miles of the coast of South America and heading North. Big numbers of Albatrosses, Shearwaters and Petrels again today with some terrific seawatching had by all. Todays highlights and new birds for the trip are
NORTHERN ROYAL ALBATROSS
SLENDER BILLED PRION
GREY BACKED PETREL (very nice)

The Prions are extremely difficult to seperate but we did start to imagine we saw ; I mean we saw the appropriate plumage detail that enabled us to seperate Slender billed from Antarctic.

For the 3 Muskateers that went to the Patagonian Steppes yesterday whilst I stayed in town pottering, their highlights included

Tawny Throated Dotterel
Black faced Ibis
Magellanic Plover
White tufted Grebe

I must just must mention my launch ride from hell yesterday. To get to shore we are ferried across on small 30ft craft which up until yesterday have felt safe and great. During my time ashore a rather stiff South westerley had developed and appeared to have suddenly strenthenged just at the time I decided to return to my boat waiting offshore. No more than 30 metres from shore the small launch starts violently pitching and rolling to an estimated 70 degrees on both the vertical and horizontal plane; As this is happening a huge wave smashes the seal on the front window of the launch which starts to flood the cabin with water whilst a flare accidentley ignites inside another launch filling the enclosed cabin space with orange smoke. The longest 15 minute boat ride of my life !

In reality the launch pilots know what they are doing but it doesnt stop a few beads of sweat developing on your brow; and I love sailing!

3 comments:

  1. Alan,

    It seems that this was one very good trip and those that thought about going now must feel a little envious of the great birding that you have had

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris, yes it has been a great trip. And for those who didn't make it this year I am planning a return trip during Feb 2011

    ReplyDelete