Tuesday 9 February 2010

Ice with our on board drinks................

It just gets better,

A force 8 gale delayed my arrival into stanley cutting my 8 hour stay into 4 resulting in my picking up fewer birds than hoped but did get to see one of my target birds Long tailed Meadow Lark; brilliant. Well I have arrived in Antarctica and now been here for 2 days. Had to alter our course today as channel iced over and too many bergs and its the middle of summer!!

Anyway I am pleased and relieved that after 8 days at sea I have today finally cracked my all time target Albatross 'you guessed it' LIGHT MANTLED SOOTY ALBATROSS. what a bird!!!!!

Other highlights over last couple of days include

Chinstrap Penguin
Magallenic Penguin
Gentoo Pengin
Lots of Falkland endemics
Giant Petrels including several White morphs (very impressive)
Sheathbill
Snow Petrel
South Polar Skua
Grey Headed Alabtross
Gibsons Albatross
LIGHT MANTLED SOOTY ALBATROSS

Will keep you updated

Hope all is well at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment