Monday 8 March 2010

LIGHT MANTLED SOOTY ALBATROSS

On the 10th I left the Antarctic via Deception Island heading North across the Drake Passge en route to Cape Horn. At 23.58 I passed out of 60°S, officially marking the vessels exit from Antarctica. As I arrived at Cape Horn on the 11th the wind picked up again to Beaufort  force 10. We then picked up our Chilean Pilots who guided us into to Ushuaia.


Light Mantled Sooty Albatross was undoubtedly the bird of the trip for me. The only photographs obtained were these two taken by Cherry Wong of Hong Kong; many thanks to her.
Adult 'snowy' Wandering Albatross (below)



Adult Southern Royal Albatross (below). The great Albatrosses proved harder to age, sex and seperate than we had anticipated
One of many force 10's that struck our vessel whilst sailing the Southern Oceans.
One last look at Antarctica before I headed North to Cape Horn....

No comments:

Post a Comment